Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Shredded Chicken Sandwiches II

4-5 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
6 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
12 sandwich rolls*

Place chicken in a large saucepan, cover with water (I used chicken broth for more flavor...took about 6 cups of liquid to cover the chicken) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer one hour, or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced. Reserve 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, from simmering. Allow chicken to cool and then shred. Place shredded chicken aside in a mixing bowl. In a sauce pan, melt butter; whisk in flour until smooth, over low heat. Stir in reserved broth; boil one minute. Add salt and pepper; stir in celery. Heat thoroughly. Pour sauce over chicken in the bowl and mix well. Serve on toasted rolls.


*I used Rhodes rolls. Allow rolls to bake and cool before splitting and filling with chicken mixture.

2 comments:

the organic kitchen said...

Hey Holly check out my other blog. Theorganickitchen.blogspot.com
~ linda

the organic kitchen said...

Oh good! Thanks! If I do say so myself all the food we make is beautiful and so good! And the best part is that it is mostly... we do have desserts... healthful! It is also a lot of fun and my clients are all really nice people. I do it about once a week so it works with my life! If you are ever down here join a class! ~ Linda